Boost Your Immune System
When we think about an Immune Booster we always think of vitamin C and the first fruits that come to mind are oranges and lemons. Well think again, Kiwi is the King of Vitamin C. One cup of Kiwi gives you 167mg of Vitamin C compared to 96mg found in a cup of oranges. Kiwi’s are packed full of antioxidants and minerals and in recent studies, it has also been shown to help you relax and sleep because of its high levels of serotonin.
Get the recipe for an Immune Boosting Smoothie and get the breakdown behind the ingredients in this smoothie on how they work together as a team to fight against free radicals and infections while boosting your immune system and making you feel energized and healthy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Which means if you decide to purchase a product recommended a small commission will go Healthy Lifestyle Regiment at no extra cost to the consumer. Thank you for keeping us online! Read my full disclosure here.
1/2 Green Apple
1 cup Kale
1 tsp Chia Seeds
1 tsp Turmeric Powder (I get mine from Wild Foods)
1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk ( I prefer the Vanilla flavor)
Place all ingredients in a blender or Bullet and mix till smooth, add some water for a thinner smoothie or ice if you would like it thicker.
What Makes these Ingredients Immune Boosters?
Get the Nutritional Breakdown of all the ingredients listed inside this smoothie recipe.
- Kiwi is the main ingredient and like I said before the Vitamin C King!
According to the nutritional break-up of kiwi fruit, per 100 grams contain 154 percentage of Vitamin C, which is almost twice that of lemons and oranges. Vitamin C acts as a powerful antioxidant, eliminating free radicals within the body. Free radicals can cause damage to cells such as proteins, DNA, and cell membranes by stealing their electrons through a process called oxidation.
Not only kiwi it high in vitamin c it also comes packed full of Vitamins A, B6, B12, E, potassium, calcium, iron, and magnesium. That’s a lot of nutrients and minerals packed into such a small little fruit!
- Banana’s have dozens of health benefits but the reason I choose it for this smoothies is it’s Anti-Inflammatory properties, enhances nutrient absorption (so you can get all the benefits from that small little kiwi) and fights against infections.
- Apples also contain vitamin c but not in high amounts like those of a kiwi or oranges but its main purpose is fiber. A single medium-sized apple contains about 4 grams of fiber, about 17% of the recommended daily intake.
You may ask why is this important if I’m trying to stay healthy or get rid of infections like a cold or flu, while fiber helps aid in digestion. You’ve heard the saying,” An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”? Well, that’s because apples keep you regular and when you have regular bowel movements you are removing toxins from your body naturally.
- Kale, in my opinion, is a must for all healthy smoothies Kiwi maybe the Vitamin C King in this smoothie but Kale is the King of Nutrients! Kale is among the most nutrient-dense foods on the entire planet.
A single cup of raw kale (about 67 grams or 2.4 ounces) contains the following nutrients:
Vitamin A: 206% of the DV (from beta-carotene)
Vitamin K: 684% of the DV
Vitamin C: 134% of the DV
Vitamin B6: 9% of the DV
Calcium: 9% of the DV
Potassium: 9% of the DV
Magnesium: 6% of the DV
It also contains 3% or more of the DV (daily value) for vitamin B1 (thiamin), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), iron and phosphorus and don’t forget it also has omega-3 fatty acids.
As you can see eating more kale is a great way to dramatically increase the total nutrient content of your diet.
- Chia Seeds are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which is something our body can not produce on its own. To find out more about this see related article. They are also rich in antioxidants, and they provide more fiber to support digestion.
- Turmeric Powder is a Superfood and I try to add it to anything I can its list of benefits is endless but for this smoothie, I choose it for its ability detoxify the liver. The liver plays a vital role in being healthy. It removes toxins from the blood while storing vitamins and minerals. Find out more about this amazing spice.
- Almond Milk has many great attributes, it’s dairy-free making it easier for many to digest and for those with allergies. However, for this smoothie, the reason I choose it to boost your immune system is for its high levels of Vitamin D and Vitamin E.
Vitamin D does more than just making your bones strong it also helps against fatigue which you normally get when you are run down. Vitamin E acts as a powerful antioxidant to protect your cells against damage from free radicals.
There You Go an Immune Boosting Powerhouse of a Smoothie!
A Powerhouse of vitamins and minerals all mixed together to help protect your immune system from airborne viruses and bacterias. Also, a very tasty treat to add to your healthy lifestyle regiment. Get even more amazing smoothie recipes